Double Decker Living Root Bridge
Located in the thick tropical forest of Meghalaya, cloaked with rain during most part of the year are the fantastic man-made cum natural wonders of the living root bridges. Created by the people of the Khasi tribe, these roots grow from the ancient rubber trees, seen only in the northeast region. These roots are trained by the Khasis to grow in such a manner as be in the form of bridges on the top of a river. These bridges are an amazing alternative to wooden bridges that dwindle with so much rain falling on them. The most popular tourist attraction of Cherrapunjee, these double decker living root bridges are 2 bridges that are stacked one on the other, made because of the entanglement of roots.
A new root bridge takes about 15 years to get strong enough so that it can bear the weight of people who would be crossing it. Over a span of next few years, the roots become even stronger. It is believed that some of the root bridges are over five hundred years old. The most popular one is Umshiang Double-Decker Root Bridge. Not built but grown, these living root bridges are like an astonishment and are absolutely unique.
- 3 hour long guided tour of Double Decker Root Bridge
- 300 steps downhill and uphill
- Observe the Indian Rubber Trees
- Visit the Tryna village and see the beautiful view of Double Decker Root Bridge
- Plenty of photos opportunities! Click amazing pictures to cherish a memory of a lifetime
- Panoramic view of Umshiang River
Air: There is a small airport at Umroi, about 35 km from Shillong. At present, Air India operates with ATR42 type of aircraft on this route. Buses / Taxis are available from Shillong to Umroi and back.
|CD9719/9719||Kolkata-Shillong, Shillong-Jorhat-Kolkata||Mon, Tues and Thurs|
|CD9711/9712||Kolkata-Shillong-Kolkata||Wed, Sat and Sun|
M.T.C. Bus Service from Shillong to Umroi Airport
Departure time from Shillong : 11.00 hrs
Departure time from Umroi : On Arrival of flight from Kolkata
Embarking and Disembarking point : M.T.C. Station, Police Bazar
Type of Bus : 28 seater Starbus
Fare : Rs.100/- per passenger
Schedule days : Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday
Another convenient airport, the Gopinath Bordoloi Airport in Guwahati (128 km from Shillong) is connected to rest of India with regular flights. Shared cabs (typically small cars from the airport, and larger Tata Sumos from Guwahati town center) are available from outside airport connecting to Shillong. The rate is Rs. 300 per passenger from Guwahati Airport to Shillong. The cab drops you off at Police Bazaar from where you can get a ride to almost any part of Shillong. En route from Guwahati to Shillong, you’ll probably stop mid way at Nongpoh to freshen up and get some refreshments.
MTDC Airport Transfer services from Shillong to Guwahati Airport
Departure time from Shillong : 6.30 a.m & 9.00 a.m
Departure time from Guwahati Airport : 2.00 p.m & 4.00 p.m
Fare : Rs.250/-
Tickets will be available at Tourist Information Centre, Police Bazaar and Meghalaya Tourism Information Centre, Guwahati Airport.
For further information contact : (0364) 2222731/ 2224933/ 2505012/ 2224471
Helicopter is available from Guwahati to Tura and Tura to Shillong on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday and from Guwahati to Shillong and Shillong to Guwahati daily except on Sunday.
It takes 20 mins. to reach Shillong from Guwahati and one hour from Guwahati to Tura. This means of transportation is very economical and convenient.
Things to keep in mind before traveling
- Unlike other North eastern states, you dont need a permit to enter Meghalaya
- The weather in the north-east is pretty unpredictable, so be prepared to have delays due to the bad weather.
- Most roads are being converted into double lane roads so the roads aren’t in the best shape.
- Locals are friendly and helpful. Be patient as not everyone will know fluent Hindi or English.
- Most cell phone networks don’t work well, so inform your family or friends about your whereabouts whenever possible.
- Don’t forget to carry some ready to cook food packets or instant noodles if you’re strictly a vegetarian.
- Carry extra batteries, power banks and most importantly warm clothing.
- Keep at least a couple of extra days in hand in case of any problems like landslides and bad weather on your way.
Mid-September To April Is The Best Time To Take This Trek
Departure from your hotel
Return to original departure point
8:00 AM – 6:00 PM